Back to: Jss1 Home Economics (PVS)
Topic: Household Articles/crafts
Household articles/crafts refer to items or decorative objects that are made or designed for use in the home. These can include a wide range of items, such as furniture, curtains, rugs, blankets, cushions, kitchen utensils, decorative figurines, vases, and more.
In the context of crafts, household articles can also refer to items that are handmade or crafted specifically for use in the home. For example, a crocheted blanket, a hand-carved wooden bowl, or a hand-painted decorative plate.
Overall, household articles/crafts are functional or decorative items that are designed to be used and enjoyed in the home and can add to the beauty and comfort of the living space.
Simple Relevant Household Articles and Crafts
- Apron: A garment worn over clothes to protect them while cooking, cleaning, or working in a messy environment. Aprons can be made of various materials like cotton, polyester, or vinyl.
- Cap/Head-tie: A head covering worn by women to keep their hair tidy and protected. It is often worn in the kitchen or during housework. It can be made of different materials, including cotton, silk, or satin.
- Needle-Work bag: A bag used to store sewing and embroidery supplies, such as needles, thread, scissors, and fabric. Needlework bags can be made of various materials, such as fabric, leather, or plastic.
- Tray cloth: A small cloth used to cover a tray or a small table. It is often used for serving tea or snacks. Tray cloths can be made of different materials, including linen, cotton, or lace.
- Handkerchief: A small square of cloth used for wiping the nose or mouth. Handkerchiefs can be made of different materials, including cotton, silk, or linen.
- Headrest: A cushion or support for the head, usually used on a chair or a bed. Headrests can be made of various materials, including foam, feathers, or cotton.
- Table mat: A small piece of cloth or other material placed on a table to protect it from scratches or stains. Table mats can be made of different materials, including plastic, bamboo, or fabric.
- Purse curtain holder: A decorative holder used to keep curtains in place. It is often made of fabric, metal, or plastic.
- Bibs: A cloth worn by infants or young children to protect their clothes while eating. Bibs can be made of various materials, including cotton, polyester, or plastic.
- Arm-rest: A cushioned support for the arms, usually attached to a chair or a sofa. Armrests can be made of different materials, including leather, fabric, or foam.
- Shopping bag: A bag used to carry groceries or other items. Shopping bags can be made of different materials, including paper, plastic, or fabric.
- Napkins: A small piece of cloth or paper used for wiping the mouth or hands during meals. Napkins can be made of different materials, including cotton, linen, or paper.
- Table cover: A cloth used to cover a table, often for decoration or to protect the surface. Table covers can be made of different materials, including linen, cotton, or lace.
- Oven Gloves: Heat-resistant gloves used to handle hot pots and pans or to remove dishes from the oven. Oven gloves can be made of various materials, including silicone, cotton, or leather.
Materials, Tools and Equipment Needed for Producing Household Articles/crafts
- Raw materials: The main materials used for producing household articles/crafts are raw materials such as wood, paper, fabric, clay, metals, glass, plastic, and natural materials such as shells, stones, and seeds.
- Decorative materials: These materials are used enhance the appearance of the finished product, such as beads, ribbons, paint, markers, and glitter.
- Adhesives: Adhesives are used to hold materials together, such as glue, tape, and adhesive sprays.
- Tools: Tools are needed to cut, shape, and manipulate the materials, such as scissors, knives, saws, and pliers.
- Cutting tools: These tools are used to cut materials to the desired size and shape, such as scissors, rotary cutters, and craft knives.
- Shaping tools: These tools are used to shape the materials, such as moulds, pottery wheels, and carving tools.
- Joining tools: These tools are used to join materials together, such as glue guns, staplers, and sewing machines.
- Decorating tools: These tools are used to decorate the finished product, such as paintbrushes, stamps, and stencils.
- Sewing machine: A sewing machine is used for stitching fabric and other materials together.
- Pottery wheel: A pottery wheel is used for shaping and forming clay into pottery.
- Kiln: A kiln is used to bake and harden clay products.
- Laser cutter: A laser cutter is used to cut and engrave materials such as wood, paper, and plastic.