Back to: Jss3 Civic Education (NVE)
Topic: Right Attitude to Work
WEEK: 7 & 8
The right Attitude to Work refers to the mindset, approach, and behaviour of an individual towards their work. It involves being committed, disciplined and responsible in carrying out tasks and duties, regardless of their nature or level of difficulty. Having the right attitude towards work is essential for personal and professional growth, job satisfaction, and overall success in the workplace. It is a critical component of workplace culture and contributes significantly to the achievement of organizational goals and objectives. In this essay, we will discuss the importance of having the right attitude towards work and how it can benefit individuals and organizations.
The kind of labour that individuals in a given society are engaged in determines whether or not that society will continue to exist. Because of this, those who want to be successful in any community must cultivate the appropriate mentality.
Meaning of the Right Attitude to Work
The term “right attitude to work” refers to the approach that individuals take towards accomplishing their responsibilities. This includes the time at which they report to work, the dedication with which they undertake a specific job, the honesty with which they carry out their obligations, and so on.
Whether in the commercial or governmental sector of a society, having the appropriate mentality towards one’s profession may have a significant impact on the rate of advancement of that society.
Attributes of Right Attitude to Work
The following is a list of some of the characteristics of an appropriate attitude towards one’s work:
1. Honesty: Being truthful is one of the most important qualities a person may have in order to have a positive attitude about their profession. Not only should he or she participate in accomplishing honest work, but also, honesty must be shown in whatever task is assigned to him or her. Someone in this position must abstain from dishonesty, theft, taking bribes, and other vices of a similar kind.
2. Discipline. Discipline is another quality that should accompany a positive attitude towards one’s profession. Self-control and avoiding a greedy and self-centred attitude are essential components of the discipline process. A person who is willing to follow the norms and regulations of the institution in which he or she finds themselves will be described as having such a willingness.
3. Commitment: A person who is committed has a strong interest in the activities in which they participate. A proper approach to one’s job requires a high level of commitment and attention to one’s responsibilities.
4. Integrity: This is being honest in everything you do, especially when it comes to money. To have a positive attitude about one’s job requires one to openly and honestly demonstrate transparency in whatever it is that one does, regardless of how insignificant the actions may seem in the eyes of the people that live in the society.
5. Punctuality: It’s been stated that punctuality is the lifeblood of every successful business. Maintaining the appropriate attitude towards work requires that we arrive at our assigned locations on time. It is inappropriate for us to arrive at the locations of our duties late.
6. Consistency: This entails acting in a manner that is compatible with doing the correct thing at the appropriate moment. Not only must we give the appearance of doing the right thing at the right moment, but we must also be consistent in doing those things at all times.
7. Diligence, When we talk about being diligent, what we really mean is taking a thoughtful and well-planned approach to accomplishing things. Being prudent at work means avoiding practices that are thoughtless and wasteful, which is part of having the correct attitude towards one’s job.
Rewards of Right Attitude to Work
A positive approach to one’s job will almost always result in favourable outcomes. Some of the benefits of having the correct attitude towards one’s employment are listed below.
1. A Very High Level of Productivity: High levels of productivity are almost inevitable if people approach their tasks with the appropriate mentality. This occurs rather often in the vast majority of private sectors, and as a consequence, there will be an improvement in the economy, which will, in turn, result in an increase in the quality of life of those who are involved in the work, as well as of the society in general.
2. Efficiency: People have a tendency to think that a society or institution that promotes the development of the appropriate attitude towards labour is an effective society in which the majority of things are completed as and when due. In such a society, everyone does his or her responsibilities without having to be reminded to, and every amenity is available to every person at the appropriate moment.
3. Progress. A society in which its people have formed the proper mentality to work will always make progress towards whatever objectives it sets for itself, whether those goals be social, economic, or something else entirely.
4. Recognition: A individual or group that has the proper attitude is often recognised and known by others. When talking about a worker, such a person is often held up as a model that others should try to imitate. If it is in society, then people frequently stare with envious eyes at societies like that.
5. National Image: A society that is well-known for its positive attitude to work contributes to an improvement in a country’s overall national image.
Consequences of not having the Right Attitude to Work
Having the right attitude to work is good for everyone and for society as a whole. The following is a list of the disadvantages of having an improper attitude about work:
- The decline in productivity: People in a society that does not value hard effort do not have much interest in the work that has to be done, which means that the society as a whole will have poor levels of productivity in whatever it does. People will stop doing the occupations for which they are legally compensated, which will lead to a decrease in productivity across all industries, including the commercial and governmental sectors.
2. A lack of motivation to succeed: A community or organisation that does not have the appropriate mentality towards labour is said to be poorly motivated. Workers in such areas may arrive to work late, not be devoted or committed to their job, and absenteeism and late-coming would become the norm. Workers may also not be dedicated or committed to their work.
3. Indiscipline: Not having the right attitude at work can lead to a total loss of control and lack of discipline in a workplace where subordinates don’t listen to their bosses’ orders and bosses don’t follow the rules and regulations of the workplace.
4. National Disaster: A culture or nation that has a sizable labour force but whose members do not have the appropriate mentality for their jobs is very vulnerable to a variety of catastrophic events. Because of people’s carelessness or complacency, there will inevitably be mishaps or catastrophes in a variety of locations, such as aeroplane crashes, car collisions, shipwrecks, and so on.